ALPINE SUMMER FESTIVALS IN AUSTRIA: 19 AUGUST – 3 SEPTEMBER 2023
Our journey to the Austrian Summer Festivals in August set out below is fully booked but our next journey to Vienna and Berlin in May 2024 is now open. See details below under the heading:
LAST JOURNEY TO THE GREATEST CENTRES OF MUSIC: VIENNA AND BERLIN
THE GREATEST CENTRES OF MUSIC:
VIENNA AND BERLIN / Vienna State Opera House
We want to tell you about our very special journey next year and hope you will want to join us. From 9 to 23 May we are returning to the two greatest musical cities of Europe, Vienna and Berlin for a fabulous series of performances.
Over the last ten years we have taken groups of friends many times to these great cities, our absolute favourites, but all good things must come to an end and we think next May 2024 has to be our last journey to these timeless sources of fine music.
Just look at these highlights:
- Simon Rattle conducts Mozart’s last three symphonies (39, 40 and the Jupiter) with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra in the Berlin Philharmonie
- A new Marriage of Figaro at the Vienna State Opera directed by Barrie Kosky, once Australia’s enfant terrible, now Europe’s favourite.
- Much praised productions of Verdi’s Otello, Wagner’s Lohengrin, Purcell’s King Arthur and Mozart’s Don Giovanni
- Concerts by the incomparable Berlin Philharmonic playing a Bruckner symphony and a fab program played by their brilliant Karajan Academy Orchestra
- Especially exciting is a production of British composer Thomas Adès’ brilliant opera The Tempest
We stay in our favourite 4 star hotels in both cities and during the day there are so many fascinating things to see and do such as:
- Australian artist Monica Levy who lives in Berlin will guide us around the best private art galleries for which Berlin is so famous
- We will spend a day wandering the beautiful lake side forests in the west of Berlin
- Vienna is full of marvels we never tire of: palaces, great museums, old and new, and of course we can’t miss the coffee houses
As something completely new, we will spend the last three days recovering from such a heady brew in the magnificent Harz Mountains, two hours south west of Berlin, staying in the historic town of Wernigerode and going for walks in the high country and taking excursions in the mountains by old narrow gauge steam trains.
WILL YOU JOIN US?
Our detailed itinerary and costings are still being finalised but we need to confirm our bookings in the next few weeks. Our three journeys to Europe this year to Italy, to Germany and shortly to Austria, all filled up very quickly when we sent out invitations last year, so don’t delay in reserving a place. We won’t ask for a deposit until we can send you the detailed itinerary and a costing, but we’ll fill the available places in order of receipt of your requests for places.
If you’d like to look at some of our previous journeys, browse the BLOGS page.